Tuesday 17 December 2013

Washing machine. The post script.


I am very happy to report to my reader that two weeks after my last post, in which I threatened to replace my husband with two Yorkshire terriers, I am wearing a pair of black socks and a turtleneck laundered in our brand new 2013 washer and drier.  While I am slightly sad about not having the terriers; they were to be named Ronny and Esmarelda, I am ecstatic to see in person the truth about the mightiness of the pen.  The very day I posted my last blog offering, he allowed me to drive him out to the suburbs to a mall, where we signed off on a couple of machines teetering on the last day of a Black Friday sale.

I, of course, am still at work, but he has just finished his first full week of retirement, and thank heaven.  No one had to give up a day’s pay to wait at home for the delivery to arrive 6 hours after it was supposed to and he had plenty of time to install the shiny new machines.  It took plenty of time.  It turns out, according to him, that it was not just a matter of slipping the old machines out, and sliding the new ones in.  Apparently it required re constructing the apartment.  I arrived home every day to a scene reminiscent of a tornado-struck hardware store, with sawdust, tools, weird shaped board feet of wood and duct tape rolls littering the house.  There was an awful moment on the day before my annual dinner party, when he was musing that he thought the new washer and dryer looked really nice in the living room.

To be honest, I wasn’t here for the sawing and banging and swearing and frantic search for Bandaids.  I did get numerous texts about…well I don’t know, really, as he’s given up his work phone and hasn’t figured out how to activate auto-correct on the new one, but the liberal use of exclamation marks told me things were pretty tough at the home front.  At one point I was under the impression that the long, meandering dryer vent was found to never have been cleaned and was stuffed with soggy lint and the skeleton of a plumber from some bygone era.

All I know is that last night he was excitedly sorting his first pile of laundry .  I had a black t-shirt I wanted done.
     “What colour are you washing?”
      “Vaguely darkish, underwear, that sort of thing.”
I realize that the laundry has always been his domaine, but still… I happened to pass the machine when it was done, and tried to sneak a peak inside to see how wrung-out the cloths were at the end of a wash in a modern machine..only because there were more than a few times with the old machine that I’d had to pull out sopping towels and wring them out by hand.  My curiosity is understandable.  But he heard me.  He leaped like a wounded stag out of his lounge chair crying, “What are you doing? Don’t touch that! You can’t imagine that I spent all week and gallons of blood installing them only to have you touch them?  Mine, Preciouses!”

At the end of that inaugural wash I was proudly presented with tree pairs of near- white underwear, a black turtleneck and two pairs of black socks.  Some things haven’t changed, at any rate.  But I'm not going near the new machines.  

No comments:

Post a Comment