Thursday 18 July 2013

A new, more sinister response: you need to keep busy, or else!


It’s been a few days now that I have not blogged…interesting…that is how Catholics start their confessions, ‘It has been two years since my last confession’…or in my case, 20 years.  I’ll tell you straight up; my greatest sin is worry.  Why else would I have a blog, but to worry out loud, yet in complete obscurity?   So, In the last week I have been on vacation, learning again how to move within time, pushing out its borders to suit my activities and mood, constricting it only when I have to, like when I needed to get the grandchildren home because I had to come back, make dinner and get to my band practice.  All of this rather than being driven by time, or being its servant as I am during my working year.

This reflection on time is important in this blog about my impending retirement, because my relationship to time will be different; I won’t continuously have to be places at certain times.  And to be honest, I’m not minding my vacation right now.  I don’t stay in my pyjamas all day, and I feel one or two tasks are enough to tackle.  For example, making breakfast and then moving my deck chair in or out of the sun, as the mood strikes.  Or cycle with the children to the local university farm, lie around (with intermittent cries of ‘stop throughing clumps of dirt!” and then cycling home.  Perhaps it is a model for the days of my retirement?  But of course, it is a vacation, which by its nature gets its pleasures through its contrast to work, and here in the northern clime where I live, it is summer; the days are long.  And then there is the question of purposefulness.  Pressed though I am by time like icing through a nozzle during the working year, my life at work is purposeful; and it is a type of purposefulness that I like.  I feel that I am important in the little realm in which I operate, and that what I do is important.

When I imagine retirement, I think on the one hand of the type of life I am living while I’m on vacation, and on the other hand I think of the short winter days, and the potential purposelessness of what I do with the time encompassed in those days.  In other words, a vacation is pleasurable by virtue of its contrast from work, but what will retirement contrast?

At first when I told people I would be retiring in a year people expressed happiness for me.  “You’ll love it!” “ You’ll be busier than you can ever imagine!” “Someone like you will never be bored!”  Now, I’m hearing a different chorus.  The 95 year old lady downstairs said to me, “Oh.  Well.  You’ll need to keep busy.  You’d better get out and volunteer.  If you don’t keep busy and find things to do you won’t live long.”  Ominously she’s been busy for as long as I’ve known her with a series of grim-seeming health problems.  And a chum on my band, who is an architect and therefore effectively self-employed, said, “Hmm.  You’re going through with it then?  You know, for every year you work past so-called retirement age, you extend your dementia free years by a factor of…oh, I don’t know…five.”  And then she looked at me with a slightly smug expression that said, ‘you won’t catch me retiring!’

And finally I read my friend Max’s blog.  He retired two years ago and has been in Rwanda with CUSO, with the avowed goal of one day running the whole Africa branch.  Examples like his keep me awake at night wracked with guilt.  I want to write books and maybe do a little contract work as a Principal mentor. In other words two highly risky enterprises in terms of whether anyone will want either one of these products of my retirement activity.  Whereas if I were to volunteer my time, I would be as purposeful as all get out, and people would have to accept me and bear it no matter what a pain in the ass I might turn out to be. 

Oh…it’s breakfast time.  I have to get dressed and do one of my activities.  I will mull over what the second activity will be over my poached egg.


No comments:

Post a Comment